Media Statement from Northern Cape Media Centre
Corporate Communication and Liaison
South African Police Service
Criminals felt the heat after their criminal activities were dismantled during the Tri-Lateral Cross Border Operation, which kicked started on Monday, 26 March until Thursday, 29 March 2018 leading to Crime Prevention Operations over the Easter Weekend.
Tri-Lateral Cross Border Operation, is crime intelligent driven and a multi-disciplinary crime prevention operation in which our policing focus was to simultaneously clamp down on criminal activities in three bordering provinces, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Northern Cape.
The Department of Home Affairs, Provincial and Municipal Traffic Officers, formed part of the operation.
During the operation zero tolerance approach was enforced against crime, by conducting simultaneous road blocks on National Roads and Secondary Roads which connects three provinces. The main focus was to search for transportation of illegal goods which include drugs, stolen vehicles, tracing of wanted suspects, visited second hand goods dealers, liquor outlets.
The Tri-lateral Operation yielded the following results across three provinces combined:
- Traffic fines to the value over R100 000 were issued against motorist for Contravention of Road Traffic Act across three provinces.
- Drugs seized includes crystal meth, dagga, mandrax tablets.
- 28 suspects from the list of wanted suspects were arrested.
- Illicit cigarettes to the value of R200 000 was seized.
- Counterfeit goods with an estimated value of R80 000 were confiscated.
- Suspect was arrested for bribing police officer with R10 000.
- Undocumented persons were arrested.
- Two vehicle seized at the road blocks held, one vehicle was cloned and the other one’s engine number and chassis marks were tempered with, and the suspects were arrested.
The suspects will appear soon in various Magistrates' Courts across Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Northern Cape.
The Provincial Commissioners of the Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Northern Cape commended members from their respective provinces for executing their operational duties with great enthusiastic, for successes accomplished during the operation are enormous.
Enquiries: Brig Ramatseba: 071 461 0908
More Appsa News Updates: